In a survey, cloud security broker vendor CipherCloud found that 86 percent of cloud applications used at workplaces are unsanctioned. That’s a pretty big percentage. Obviously, the security vendors have an incentive to raise such fears about shadow IT, so take this claim with much salt. However, the issue merits attention.
I don’t see shadow IT as that big of deal. Moreover, I believe that CIOs can embrace, rather than fight, the rise of shadow IT for their own benefit. How?
There are three benefits to the CIO from departments’ shadow cloud use.
- CIOs: Shadow IT is actually great for your cloud strategy
- IDG Contributor Network: Cloud is now a core strategy — are you onboard?
- Why CIOs must pursue ‘eventual symmetry’ for their cloud strategies
- 7 cloud services that make great gifts
- Shadow data report underscores the need for strong cloud app security